Wednesday, November 7, 2007

New York Times vs. BBC

The first thing I noticed about the BBC website in comparision to the New York Times one was that it offered the news in 33 different languages, whereas NYT provides their news strictly in English. This was really interesting to me and intrigued me into checking out the BBC News more, a news publication I had never even read before. I also thought their "Day In Pictures" feature was a unique touch that many readers could appreciate and enjoy. However, overall, I felt like the New York Times seemed like it had much more news to offer, especially on the main page. The New York Times covers every inch of their front page of the website with news stories of all types in an organizational manner. I also like that the NWT website looks more like a physical newspaper than the BBC News. BBC News also didn't have ANY advertisements at all on their main page, which was odd to me. Once you look at the individual categories such as News, Sports, etc. the ads begin to surface, but there still aren't that many. I wonder why that is? I think the New York Times does a better job of making their website look appealing to viewers and also makes better use of advertisements without going overboard.

No comments: